Friday, January 6, 2012

Is It Strep?

Problem: I have a really sore throat and I'm afraid that it's strep, but I don't want to go to the doctor if its just a cold. So how do I tell the difference?
Solution: Look for the symptoms. If you have strep, it's normally accompanied by extreme fatigue, swollen lymph nodes (I'll talk about those later), an earache, and a fever of over 101 degrees. It tends to feel a lot like the flu except that your throat is so raw that you can hardly speak or even swallow. Your hearing will be all wacky and things probably won't taste the same. To see if you have swollen lymph nodes, gently rub your neck all the way from your shoulders to up under your chin. They will feel like little peas under your skin, and will probably be pretty sore. An earache is a sign of drainage in your throat and nasal passages, but it can also be a sign of a serious infection. Also look for white spots to appear in the back of your throat.. I'm not sure what they are exactly, but I know they're bad! 
If you have any of these signs, I would highly suggest seeing the doctor! Letting strep set in uninhibited can be very dangerous. The worst (or best) thing that can happen is that he will tell you it's just a cold. 
So what if it's just a cold... what now? I still feel miserable! 
I would encourage rest, a hot cup of tea, and some soup. Get some sleep and your body will fight off the sickness itself. The best things to soothe a sore throat are lemon and honey (I'll post the recipe for my world-famous hot lemonade soon;) ) Take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment