Iced Lemon Poppy-Seed Tea Biscuits
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (I used half wheat and half white)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt (I used plain Greek, but lemon, orange, or vanilla works well too!)
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- I lemon squeezed
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Colored sprinkles, colored sugar, or lemon zest (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and enough milk for a thick consistency. Lightly frost centers of cookies; sprinkle with colored sprinkles, colored sugar, or lemon zest if desired.
- Yield: about 4 dozen.