Saturday, February 4, 2012

Amazing Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Hey y'all,
 Sorry I've been away for a while. In the past 48 hours we've been dumped on with over 20 inches of snow and my life consists of shoveling right now... (everyday I'm shoveling'... *dancing). Perks of living in Denver.
 Anywho... on this snowy morning, something fresh and yummy sounded good, and I happen to loooooooooove lemon poppyseed, so I decided to try some muffins. I added my own healthy twist (because I've been feeling fat lately -_-), but I added the regular fattening, sugar filled, calorie infested alterations beside it.. just in case you're interested ;) By the way, these DO NOT taste healthy. My parents didn't even know till I told them that it wasn't regular junk. 

Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

1 c. White Flour
1 c. Wheat Flour (or just 2 cups white flour)
3 TBS Poppy Seeds
1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt

1 Stick Butter (8 TBS)
1/2 c. Sugar 
4 packets Stevia powder (or just 1 cup sugar)
2 large Eggs
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup Yogurt (I used orange, but you can use lemon, vanilla, or greek) 

Frosting
Juice of 1 lemon (just use the same lemon you zested!) 
1 1/2 c. Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan or use muffin liners. 

Combine first six dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a whisk. 
Combine butter, sugar, and stevia in a mixing bowl and mix on medium-high speed till light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add zest and vanilla and blend. Scrape the sides of your bowl well. With mixer on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients then the yogurt, then the rest of the dry ingredients and blend just until mixed. 
Divide the batter between the cups filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minute or till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 3-5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

While muffins are still warm, mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar together to make a glaze. Drizzle evenly over the muffins and let set. Enjoy!

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment